5/11/11

Ready for a change?

The great cloth diaper change, that is!

The Great Cloth Diaper Change started as an idea by Judy Aagard, owner of Tiny Tots cloth diaper store in California, and has evolved into an international effort to promote cloth diapering as the only eco-responsible and fiscally-responsible choice in modern times.

The unofficial numbers are that 6,363 people participated in 221 different locations worldwide!  Plus, at least 116 via twitter.
Okay, so I have explained how we switched to cloth diapers, and how much I love them.  Well, this Great Cloth diaper change event started like stated above from just one Mom who wanted to try to create a Guiness Book of World record.  Just ONE person..and the idea blew up! Pretty much what it was, was there were several official locations that were approved by Guiness, and we had to register and meet certain qualifications.  Our location was in Idaho Falls and the Annual Babywearing event, The Spring Fling.  That event was fun in and of itself, a great time to do the change.  Everybody around the world had to change a child from either a disposable diaper into a cloth diaper at the same time.  But, you only had to start at the same time, it's not like you had to do everything in sinc.  Our location barely made the 30 person minimum...like our witness ended up participating with her child, and they quickly got another witness.  
We were at the Bonneville high school behind some of the lockers, lol. Not very professional, but it did the job!  So, here are people to the right and left of me, getting ready.


Almost ready!  

They counted down  
10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1
CHANGE!

So, here we are after about 20 seconds to change her
This is one of my favorite diapers.  A KomfyKids pocket diaper
It's made locally by the lady that actually hosted the change.
www.designerclothdiapers.com  She is AWESOME! 
Then, a group of the people after/during
the change.
Afterwards, we went and took a group picture of all the participants and our babies.  We are supposed to be getting a copy of that once Guiness approves it. But, I guess it can't be out in circulation until the whole process is done.  So, whenever I get that, I will add it on here too!


Okay, so I mentioned before that I would post about pocket diapers.  So, I figured this was a good time.  
Okay, so this is a typical pocket style diaper
this is a rumparooz brand.  Now, one of the 
great things about a pocket diaper is you can stuff them
to the absorbancy you need.  And, they are a one size.  They 
work from 7-35 pounds.  See the snaps on the front, you adjust
those according to the size/age of your baby.   
There are 2 parts to a pocket diaper.  The outside (left) and the insert (right) 
Like I said, you can add more inserts if you need them for a heavier
wetting child.  We typically only use one. 
In the back of the diaper is the opening where you will put 
the insert

So, after you wash (which is super easy also, just a couple
extra loads a week, no biggie) You take the inserts and
stuff them into the shells and get them ready to go for
a diaper change. Just slide it in the pocket, 

and snap it up and you are ready to go! 

She was being super silly.  She loves her diapers.
I have put a disposable on her and she will pull at 
it and get mad.  I compare it to wearing a maxipad.
I don't know anyone who thinks those things are comfy,
why would our babies want to wear one 24/7.  A soft
fabric would be much better! 
So, at a change, all you need to do it unfasten the diaper

Slip the next one on..

And snap it back up!
No harder than a disposable.  




The only next step is you need to put it in a pail/bag
till washing day.  I prefer to pull my inserts out right
away, but I have heard of ladies who don't even take the 
wet insert out, they say the inserts come out in the wash. 
Then forget about them till washing day!

This is the other cloth system I have.  I don't like it as 
much as the pockets for the day, but are GREAT at 
night.
They are called bestbottoms all in 2's  You have a cover
and a snap in soaker

You just place the soaker in cover snap it in and 
then put it on the baby that way.  The thing is the cover 
can be reused before washing, if it's not soiled.  You
can just wipe it out if it's wet and only put the soaker
in the pail.   
Like I said, not my favorite, but they work great too.

 The boys were being crazy too and wanted a picture :)

It's statements like the above that make me sick that I did in fact use disposable diapers on 4 of our children.  All the diapers WE have put into the landfills.  Did you know that even with disposable diapers you are supposed to deposit the waste in the toilet?  Can you imagine all those poo filled diapers sitting in our landfills right now and thousands (or more) being added daily.  And that doesn't even touch my attitude on the chemical in disposable diapers.  Heavenly Father gave us this earth for us to take care of.  It is OUR responsibility to do so.  And, putting things into our landfills, filling up our Earth with garbage is horrible.  That, to me, does not show much respect for our Heavenly Father.  I have been trying to do my best, in our home to become more conscience of what goes into our trash. I have been working on more recycling and hope to get containers dedicated to that very soon.  I have stopped using feminine products.  I switched over from pads/tampons to the diva cup, and love it.  I have been working on building my reusable shopping bag stash so I can use those more instead of plastic bags.  I just feel like if we all try the little things we can to take care of this wonderful home we have been provided, every little thing will make a difference.




No comments: