3/31/11

For the love of fluffiness

So, in September of 2010, we were trying to figure out places in our budget to cut costs.  There is a website www.community.babycenter.com that I like visiting.  It's just a chat forum type place.  Well, in my birth board (January 2010) I happened upon a post about cloth diapers.  My first thought, was "really..why?"  So, I click on it.  It is just some lady asking a question about cloth diapers.  There were all sorts of people answering her questions.  Then, another lady asks more about these "modern" cloth diapers.  Modern? What can be modern about a cloth diaper?  Aren't they like a dish rag with pins that you somehow strap on your kid then cover up with an ugly white plastic thing?  So, the curious part of me decides to find out more about it.  I go to another forum on babycenter that was mentioned.  The cloth diaper board.  WOW, so much information, I couldn't even wrap my head around it. But, at the same time, thinking...we do need to save money.  So, I google a couple things and then e-mail my cousin who I had heard uses cloth diapers.  This whole time, Brandon is sitting on the couch watching TV.  So, he finally says, "what are you doing?"  What?  Me?  Um...nothing.  Heaven forbid he knows what I am looking at.  He will think I am insane and put a stop to the madness in my head thinking, " I could do this." So, I briefly tell him what I am looking at and how much money it could possibly save us.  And what was his response?  "Sure, if you want to." HUH?  So, there I went looking more and more into it.  I got some good information from my cousin and mounds of information online.  Then, I find out a friend of mine HAD used them for a few month.  So, I got more information from her.  Well, about a week or two after my initial psychotic though...My package arrived!
It contained 10 Kawaii Pocket diapers
1 Bumgenius pocket diaper
and 1 Nifty Nappy Pocket diaper
along with the modern diaper sprayer, a bag to keep them
 in while I am out and about AND
some diaper cream 
for a grand total of $175.00
Those 12 diapers were about enough to diaper Cadence for a day and a half...Then I just wash them and reuse!  It was great.  On top of that, my mom helped me make some cloth wipes and I made up a wipe solution to use as well.  

That was the beginning....I fell in love.  I don't know where these awesome cute bundles of fluff were with my other 4 kids but I really wish I would have considered them sooner.  Not only are the they cuter than a paper diaper, but so much healthier too.  No nasty chemicals on my baby's bum anymore!  And, I am doing my little part to help the planet!  So, that was almost 7 months ago..this is my stash today (minus one that was on her)
My pocket diapers...



Kawaii

Komfy Kids

Kawaii Minky diapers
(sooooo soft)

Misc. diapers
BSRB, Bumgenius
Fuzzibunz and nifty nappy


These are my all in 2 diapers
4 covers, 5 bamboo inserts
3 staydry inserts and 2 overnight inserts

These are different from the pocket diapers, you can reuse the covers and just change the insert.  Kind of nice, but not my favorite.  

I guess I should have shown a pocket diaper and how it works...maybe I will save that for another post. 

Here are some action shots of her in her adorable squishy cloth diapers!  :)








So, if you are looking to save a buck...look it up.  It's wonderful and I NEVER have to buy another diaper again (If I don't want to, that is)

No comments: